Friday, January 13, 2012

Visiting John tonight, I learned he is to be discharged in all probablity, tomorrow! A good amount of his unsteadiness has been drug induced, so the plan was to change his meds and watch for improvement. Comparing now to the last -24- hours, there is steady progress in the right direction.


The one thing that is a bit concerning that has stumped the doctors thus far is the coloring of John's face and the swelling that makes John appear as if he has gained a lot of weight. Normally, his facial structure is long or narrow. Having run a lot of tests, everything comes back negative. Imagine John with a serious wind burn and 50+ lbs heavier (which he is not) That's what his face looks like but we're told it should get better everyday.


There is also an asymetrical appearance to John's right eye. Initially, the doctor felt it was fine but there is a slight droop which we are hoping to be temporary. John's vision, however, is perfect. We again are just so relieved because the long list of things that could have resulted with disfigurement, disability and life altering post surgical complications, gratefully, did not occur. A slightly droopy eye, is a very small bump in the road in the bigger scheme of things... and, it might improve over time, on its own.


Assuming tomorrow will bring John home, he appears pretty darn ambulatory and mobile, with little discomfort. He is very pleased with his ability to feel as well as he does.  I am suspect that might be the drugs talking, but I think I prefer this, than a grouchy guy who is uncomfortable and demanding. The one thing I know will be priority is to get a good, long sleep. Being in the hospital, the concept of sleeping is a distant dream, John says. He would just start to nod off and somebody would come in to do an exam or check vitals. And, Dr. Gaissert makes his rounds @ 5:45 AM so the start of the day, is indeed early.


I will learn more about discharge tomorrow, as well as the at home care and post-op appointments for reassessment. Short of the obvious resting and pain management, it appears John is well on his way to a speedy recovery and successful recuperation. 




2 comments:

Susie said...

Wow this is crazy good news. I'm so glad things are going along so well. I hope John stays on track for going home today. When I was in the hospital last year between taking vital signs in the middle of the night and crazy hour doctor visits, it was a joy to get home and rest! Best to you both.

Susan

Sherry said...

This is amazing. I think that being fit and healthy to start with has really helped quicken his recovery.